How To Make Money Through Blogging

I've been blogging for over 5 years now. I got into this initially out of my love for self-expression and writing. In the long run, this helps me fund my travels and allows me to make money from home and spend time with my family.


FAQs About Making Money Through Blogging

1. Is it easy?
This definitely depends on your mindset. 

If you have a growth mindset, you'll treat every new thing as an opportunity to grow and learn. Sure, there's a learning curve involved but if you're willing to learn and willing to improve your craft, it will eventually be 'easy' for you.

2. Do I need to spend money to make money?
All you need to get started is a reliable computer (or smartphone) and an internet connection. 

3. What do I need to get started?
To get started, you'll need the following:

  • A portfolio of your work (here's a sample) This doesn't have to be fancy or a paid one. When I was just starting, I showed my personal blog posts (which also cover product reviews) to my potential clients. They liked it and hired me.

    If you don't have any experience, I suggest you start writing about anything! You can start writing about your passion, your unique experiences in life, tutorials, etc. However, when you write, write for others.

    For example, if I'm writing about solo traveling for women in the Philippines, I'll be addressing the common concerns of my target audience, such as where to stay, how to save money, how to make friends on the road, etc.

    When writing, I usually follow this format:

    a. Intro This is usually 2-3 sentences, which introduces (hence the name) your reader to your topic.

    b. BodyThis is the 'flesh' of your article. I like breaking this down into short paragraphs. It makes it easier to read that way.

    c. ConclusionIt's like a closing statement, like wrapping up your article in 2-3 sentences. You can also use this section to invite your readers to sign up for your mailing list (more on that soon) or hire you (you can then link it to your Hire Me page).
 WHAT YOU CAN DO NOW:

  • Sign up for a free account in Blogger.com or WordPress.com and start writing  Write about something you know or passionate about

    To find ideas on what to write, you can use Google (or any preferred search engine) and type any inquiry. It will generate keywords or phrases that other people are also looking up. Use those as a start.

    If you want your portfolio to have 'Testimonials' (a form of social proof), you can try writing for someone for free in exchange for a testimonial or for a small amount.

    Freelancing websites like Upwork have a lot of freelance writing gigs. Many don't pay that much but you can use that as an experience.


4. Where can I find paid writing jobs?
Now that you have built your portfolio, it's time to look for paid writing opportunities! These are the websites that I had experiences in landing writing gigs:

  • ProBlogger Jobs
  • Write Your Revolution (she also sends paid writing gigs opportunities if you join her mailing list)
  • Upwork (competition can be tough but I landed several writing jobs here including my first $1K proofreading project)
  • Fiverr (you can create your own packages but just like Upwork, competition can be a challenge)
  • Onlinejobs.ph (I’ve used this for years when I was still living in the Philippines)


5. How much should I charge for it? 
When I was still starting, I was happy making $2-5/article (I was living in the Philippines then). But now, I consider that as a very low rate, unless you’re doing it for 3 initial work in exchange for testimonials (even then though, this is still very low). 

For me, a reasonable rate as a start is $15/short blog post (300-500 words). If you’ve proven yourself, you can always negotiate your rates. I’ve read articles of writers earning over $300/post, which sends a message that if you work smart to hone this craft, you can make really good money! 

6. What tools can help me with my writing?
My top 2 tools for starting out are Grammarly and Copyscape. As you progress and learn more about SEO (search engine optimization), apps like Ubersuggest and Keywords Everywhere can be helpful.

This is just a very short walk-through on how you can start making money through blogging. I hope you learn something from it! 


If you’re interested, you can download my FREE guide on the following:

No comments