Solo Travel in Thailand

After doing several solo trips in different provinces in the Philippines, I decided to go out of my comfort zone and try a solo trip overseas.

My country of choice? Thailand.



Why Thailand?

Thailand is the safest pick in my list of options. It's touristy, offers a variety, and it has the right balance of giving me an unfamiliar environment without completely throwing me off my comfort zone. After all, I'm still learning the art of traveling solo.

When planning for this Thailand trip, I didn't have Bangkok in mind. I'm leaning more towards Chiang Mai (because I'd love to meet digital nomads) and Pai (the Sole Sisters' post about it is so enticing!).

Preparing for First Overseas Solo Trip

I would be lying if I tell you that I wasn't nervous for this trip.

For one, I've heard a LOT of horror stories of Filipino travelers being off-loaded just because they weren't able to provide enough proof that they're only traveling. 

So, the first item in my list is documents. I gathered bank certificates, my employment certificates (I worked with different clients online), round trip tickets, and printed hotel reservation.

Another worry I had is getting lost. You see, I'm not a huge fan of maps. It's one of my biggest struggles. And it doesn't help either to be an introvert. 

Despite these uncertainties and fears, I went on and pursued this week-long trip.

When your initial plan didn't go well...

My initial plan was to travel to Chiang Mai the moment I land in Bangkok. But my flight got delayed so when I arrived in Bangkok, I'm so tired and all I just want to do is chill for a day.

Without a place to stay, I used the Couchsurfing app to look for recommendations. One couchsurfer suggested a hostel where he's also at. He said it's clean and just close to almost anything. Plus, it's less than $15/night.

Sticky rice with mango 

So I took a cab and planned to stay a night there. 

The hostel wasn't really visible from the main street. The driver dropped me off to the nearest possible location of the hostel. 

It took me a while to find it so I was looking forward to take a nap once I get there. But surprise, surprise, they only 1 bed available and in a mixed dorm! The worse part? It won't be ready until a few hours (yes, bummer!). 

I left my bag and told the receptionist that I'll be going around the city for a bit and will be back.

The hostel is pretty much what you would expect in a hostel. It's crowded and people there seems to know each other.

Around Bangkok

After having my first meal of the day (of course, I had Pad Thai and sticky rice 😋), I took a tuk-tuk and went around nearby tourist spots, mostly visiting temples.


An hour or so after the tour, I felt so tired that I can just fall asleep right inside the tuk-tuk. Fortunately, when I got back to the hostel, my bed's ready. So, I changed clothes quickly, ready for my much-needed nap!

One of the temples we visited during that short tour

In the middle of my restful nap, I heard voices, rowdy voices of men! That's when I realized that I'm definitely in a mixed dorm, with me as the only female in the room (crappy choice Joann!). Tried to go back to sleep but I can't. I kept on thinking about my sleeping situation.

I stayed in this lower bunk.
I got up and decided to go for a walk. I got a message from the Couchsurfer who suggested the hostel. He asked me if I wanted to go to the bar with his friend. I don't drink so I declined.

I went to nearby Khao San Road, enjoyed the lively scene of vendors, street food, and people. I found a small restaurant with an outdoor seating area and had another Pad Thai.

The busy Khao San Road
I didn't stay there for long as I wanted to sleep before my dorm mates get there and make a lot of noise again.

When I got to my room, I found a dorm mate. He said a cold 'hello' and went back to browsing his phone. He sounded drunk so I didn't bother. But all throughout the night, I could hear him going in and out of the room, probably throwing up?

As expected, I didn't get enough sleep that night. Different scenes were playing in my head, especially that I'm sharing the room with a male who's apparently drunk! So I made a decision to leave Bangkok the following day and head to Chiang Mai.

No comments