What a Year!

I hope it's not yet too late to have this year-ender post. At least I'm able to write this before I turn a year older :) 

To say that my 2012 is my hyperactive year is an understatement. It's a year of whirlwind romance with traveling, conquering more fears, and doing what they say is impossible. I learned a lot from the people I traveled with and met along the way, realized a lot of things, got more inspired from the places I've been to, and able to come face-to-face with some of my deep-seated fears. 

February

We've been planning this for so long and finally got the chance to conquer the rapids of the Tamugan river. Those hours spent under the scorching heat of the sun, paddling to keep us from capsizing (fail! lol), and laughing our hearts out for those crazy moments when we capsized and hold unto the dear raft to be bruise-free are something I wouldn't trade for anything else! 




You can read about it here.

March

What started out as a simple brainstorming leads us to this epic North Luzon trip. We've been awed by the beauty of Ilocos, Benguet/Baguio City, and Manila. Months of planning, booking, and adjusting with our budget had helped us in this trip. And yes, we've been blessed with those angels we met along the road. 


Ilocos is more than just home to the tastiest empanada and vinegar, it's a place where you can get in touch with your roots (hello Vigan and Laoag!) and to unleash the adrenaline rush (Pagudpud and Paoay, anyone?).


We eat, we walk, and eat again - Baguio is perhaps one of the places you can check out if you wanted a laidback atmosphere without totally escaping the comforts of the city. The cold weather and its rich culture and history can bring out the fashionista and geeky side of you. 


There will come a time when you have to face those fears and I think exploring Manila on our own is one those. I guess part of that fear stems from media and what we hear from people. But coming to Manila and exploring it for a day and a half proves to be beneficial. Not only we're able to appreciate its historical part, we also have proved that people are innately good. We got lost, struggled with the rush hour, and almost fought (hi Grace! haha) but nevertheless the experience was worth a try. 

July

It really doesn't matter where you go, as long as you head out and explore. This month, we went for a day trip in Island Garden City of Samal. Instead of the typical, beach bumming, we get in touch with nature by checking out the Hagimit Falls and the Bat Cave.


Hagimit Falls is a beauty!


The sight of millions of bats is creepy but hey, it's worth checking out 

August

Out of curiosity, I traveled solo for the first time this month and explored Ph's Last Frontier: Palawan. I met a lot of people from all walks of life and from different countries, had those bloopers, sleepless nights, and occasional disappointments with self but nevertheless, I will still recommend traveling solo. It's something that you just have to try, at least once in your life (btw, will be traveling solo again this year!).


They say if you have gone to Palawan, you will have this 'come back-come back' syndrome. I can now understand why. 


El Nido is a piece of paradise! I don't mind being stuck here for years. If you've been dreaming of El Nido, then please go. Trust me, you don't have to splurge just to be in this awesome place ;)

September

We didn't intend to have this annual trip but it seems that my parents especially my father have been bitten by the travel bug too.


I may have to tame down the adrenaline junkie in me to give my parents a good time but I still had fun! 
One day, if I'll have a family of my own, I will definitely make traveling as part of those bonding moments. 

Note: I am still working on the backlogs, hehe.


This minor climb happened too soon. Now, I have high respect for hardcore mountain climbers! Ang umakyat ay 'di biro. 

October

I have zero plan this month but an invite to Camotes Island is something I couldn't resist. With just the right amount of funds, I flew to Cebu to experience the island's beauty. And yes, it didn't fail us. The weekend trip seems crazy at first but I ended up with no regrets.


November

One of the most common excuses I hear from people why they are hesitant to travel is that they have a full-time job. During this month, I started with a full-time non-homebased job, yet, I still managed to find time to travel. If you come up with more excuses like bills to pay, etc, let me tell you that I and all those people I traveled with also have those 'responsibilities.' If you really want something so bad, you can come up with means to do it. :)


The trip to Bukidnon is the beginning of those 24-hour trips, hehe. We zipped and experienced the thrill of Dahilayan's dropzone (and yeah, the chadang Camp Phillips). 


This almost didn't happen. Good thing, we invited the right people :) Though a bit tired from the previous day's shift, the rapids took away the weariness (weird but true). 

December

I couldn't let this month pass without exploring another place. More brainstorming and we ended up with this South Cotabato trip.


Though we only intend to visit the Tuka Marine Park in Saranggani, we ended up with a road trip to Marbel-Surallah-Lake Sebu and back to General Santos. Tiring? Yes. Fun? Oh YES! We may not able to explore the seven falls in Lake Sebu but the journey makes up for it (almost got scammed, that creepy seatmate of Grace, and helpful people in South Cotabato who could be angels in disguise).


Not all trips will end up to be a good one. During the second week of the month, Toni and I planned on exploring the Cape San Augustin. But the weather and other circumstance didn't allow us to see the lighthouse, amazing rock formation, and that lovely beach. We head to Mati with high hopes of washing away the frustration thru surfing but the angry waves and sky prohibit us to do so. Thus, we ended the day with a lot of stories shared over a hearty meal in the city. 


To make up for the misadventures in Davao Oriental, we decided to end the year by exploring Epol in Marilog District. This almost didn't happen due to holiday rush but we wanted it so bad so we take the longer route not known to many, hehe. The natural beauty of the the underground cave and the falls completed our 2012. 

I started this year with confusion but ended up gaining some clarity, fulfillment, and direction.

Special thanks to those whom I traveled with:
Grace, Manny, Toni, Zaldy, Shing, Judge, Crisline, and Bella. 

What's in store for 2013?
I made some plans but who knows, life might surprise me just what it did last year.






No comments