Exploring Palawan's Underground River

Still groggy from getting insufficient sleep, I hurriedly took a shower to get rid of my sleepiness. I can't afford to be late for the highlight of the day's activities: the Puerto Princesa Underground River tour. I booked this package days before my scheduled flight mainly for convenience. When I went to the reception area, our tour guide is already there but we waited for a few minutes for the driver to arrive.

While inside the vehicle, I couldn't help but feel giddy inside. I've been curious with what the Underground River looks like. Although I wanted to do it the DIY way and badly wanted to trek the monkey trail, I find this package tour good enough. 


It took us more than an hour to reach the Sabang Beach. It was scorching hot that day and although it isn't summer, the ticketing office and the waiting area are jam packed with tour guides and guests. Because I don't want to look completely lonely that day, I talked to these people who are selling pearls. I asked them about getting to Tabon Cave and San Vicente. From them, I found out that it's quite a feat to visit the Tabon Cave, San Vicente, and El Nido in 2 days.


After almost an hour of baking myself under the sun, we finally had our turn to board the boat that will take us to the Underground National Park. It took around 15 minutes before we reach it. 


Because each group has its priority number, we didn't immediately rush into the mouth of the river. We spent a few minutes admiring the well-conserved area. 


When it was our turn, we grabbed hard hats and life vests for safety. I chose to be seated on the second row so as not to be the torch guide (I'm bad in following instructions, hehe). Those who are seated in front of me were handed the lamp to be used inside the cave. 


It was so dark inside that I hardly can capture decent photos. Our guide spoke so softly that those of us who are seated in the first few rows have to ask each other what he is saying. The torch guide rarely hit the right spot so the underground river tour wasn't really that educational for me. Nevertheless, I was filled with awe with amazing rock formations inside.



Although it was said that the tour lasted for more than an hour, it seems that we're there for just a few minutes. It's probably because when you're too engrossed with what you're seeing, you really can't tell how long you've been there. 


If you happen to be in Puerto Princesa, PLEASE find time to check out the underground river.
I tell you, it's ALL WORTH IT!


No comments