Puerto Princesa: DIY City Tour for P300

Before embarking on this solo trip to Palawan, I spent several days for research. I looked up for safety issues with female solo travelers and most importantly, for budget-friendly accommodations and routes around Puerto Princesa.


There are 2 ways on how one can get around the city of Puerto Princesa: for convenience, you can opt for a tour package and for those who love adventure, there's the DIY city tour. I choose the latter because aside from the thought that it is more fun, I'm also after saving a few hundred bucks from this trip. The rate of the city tour package is almost the same in all travel agencies (P600/person inclusive of transportation, entrance fees, and licensed tour guide). I've read somewhere that one can have the DIY city tour for around P500-600 and that rate is not for person. That's actually the amount that you'll pay to the tricycle driver who will take you around the city. You can actually save a few hundred pesos if you're traveling with more people as you can split the expenses among yourselves.

Having no luck in finding another lone traveler, I am thinking of getting around for less than the established rate. Jonito, the trike driver who took me from the airport to Duchess Pension House agreed to take me around the city. When I've asked him of his rate, he just told me 'ikaw po bahala ma'am' (It's up to you ma'am). If I'm a greedy traveler, I could have agreed to this but no, I understand the increasing gas prices and the daily struggle Filipinos are facing so I insist on asking him of HIS rate. He told me that it's usually P100/hour, which I think is good enough.

Right after dropping my stuff in my room and securing some of my valuables, I then went out to explore the city of Puerto Princesa. It's actually quite a funny experience as it turns out that it's Jonito's 2nd day to drive the trike. I didn't feel nervous at all because he drove well, only that he does not know some of the places I have told him.

We started the tour around 3:30 p.m. I asked him about Palawan Museum and Plaza Cuartel. Since Palawan Musem is close (it's Sunday), I then head to Plaza Cuartel, which is just a few minutes away from the museum.


Situated in the downtown area, Plaza Cuartel used to be a military garrison. It is in this area where around 150 American soldiers were burned by Japanese soldiers during WWII (December 14, 1944). While I was reading this information at the entrance gate of the place, I couldn't help but feel bad for the fate of those American soldiers who have helped this country in the past. 

Aside from historical posts in Plaza Cuartel, one can find a solemn place to chill out on this area. I think people visit this more to relax than to know its historical value. Anyone, with or without the budget, can visit this place as admission is FREE :D


After spending 15 minutes in the area, I then head to Baker's Hill which is located in Mitra Road. Known for its baked goods (their hopia ube is a must buy!), Baker's Hill can also be considered as a good venue for photo ops. They have statues of famous Disney characters and a very relaxing garden. I've tried taking self-portraits here using my monopod and I got shots that are as good as ID pics, hehe.

Baker's Hill also has a buffet restaurant. I've read from their tarpaulin that one can enjoy their eat-all-you-can offer for P250/person (too much for my allotted daily budget).


Just a few meters away from the Baker's Hill is the Mitra's Ranch. The place is so relaxing that I can spend hours here just reading books and people watching. But because of time constraint, I opted to just people watch, felt quite envious with those who have someone with them who can take their photos. 

I haven't really explored the place for I just sat in an area overlooking the city. The tranquility of the place, cool wind plus the amazing view from the top is more than enough to convince me that I did the right decision to be here (senti mode). 

I believe Mitra's Ranch is a great place to watch the sunset too but I don't want to be left there with couples around the place, lol. Plus, I don't want to spend a me-time moment taking their photos, hehe. 


I initially planned to head to Iwahig Prison after but the trike driver informed me that the trike's headlight is busted and Iwahig is a bit far (might end in a serious accident if I insist) so I then asked him to take me to some souvenir shops. 

There are now 2 souvenir shops in the city. One is located along the highway (you know which one as there are many tour vans parked around it) and the other one is Tiangge Tiangge. The one located along the highway is a new establishment in the city. Compared to Tiangge Tiannge, this one is bigger and it's where most of the tourists flocked. I looked around but couldn't really find a cool item to bring with me to Davao so just like my previous trips, I ended buying a fridge magnet. 

People are innately good. One time, when I went into this loading machine to buy some eLoad credits, my money got stuck in the machine. I tried to retrieve it but to no avail. A locale saw me having a hard time with it so she offered her help. She got a stick, pulled out the paper bill and coins and helped me out on how to do it properly (turns out I inserted the paper bill in the coin slot), lol. 


It was already dark when I left Tiangge Tiangge. Felt the rumbling of my stomach, I asked to driver to drop me off at Bona's as my last stop. I've asked a locale in Plaza Cuartel for the best chaolong in the city. He told  me it's Bona's so I decided to dine here (will make a separate post for this). Since we ended the tour at around 6:30 p.m, I gave the trike driver P300 plus a box of Baker's Hill chocolate crinkles for his kindness. 

During the city tour, I skipped some of the known tourists spots like Crocodile Park/Farm and the Butterfly Garden just because I don't feel the need to. I guess this is one of the perks of traveling solo. You can go to places that you want and skip those that you don't feel like going without that guilt feeling (when you go in groups, there's that feeling of compliance). 

Here's Jonito's (the trike driver) number: 09092828907

No comments